Monday, April 30, 2012

A Different View


“…for here there is no place that does not see you.  You must change your life.” (from "Archaic Torso of Apollo" by Rainer Maria Rilke)
                                                                                             
For a while now, I’ve wanted to explore some other views in addition to The Teacher’s View.  I’ve taken a lot of freedom on these pages to cover a wide swath of subjects.  Truth is, I have always been more student of life than teacher.  Maybe, back in 2007, I should have called this blog The Student’s View.  We are always learning.

What’s done is done, and I enjoy the freedom I’ve had on these pages to explore wherever my mind has wandered.  I expect to keep going with The Teacher’s View well into the future.

However, one area I want to explore with some depth and insight is Los Angeles, my hometown and the place I’ve lived all my life.  To that end, I’ve launched a second blog called On The Street Where I Live:  Searching For The Soul of Los Angeles.

On this blog, I’ll focus on the history and rich cultural life of this truly American city.  People knock L.A. all the time, even people who call it home.  “It has no culture,” they whine.  “It’s all superficial.  Too glitzy.  Too narcissistic.  Too Hollywood.”

Los Angeles seems forever accused of having no soul.

Ahh, but it does have a soul, and I’m going to uncover it.  If you don’t live in L.A., you still might want to check in.  This is a world city in the same way New York, London, and Paris are world cities.  All kinds of people live here, a true mishmash of cultures.  That’s what makes it all so interesting.

So consider yourselves invited.

In addition, I played a small part, mostly technical, in launching another blog:  Andiamo!  This is a lifestyle and culture blog written and photographed by my wife, Silvie Martin.  Hers is a more visual and artistic sensibility.  She also tends to be less long winded than me.  She is sunny and optimistic, which will make for a nice break from my often darker tones.

So please check in on all our blogs:  The Teacher’s View, On The Street Where I Live, and Andiamo!  Feel free to comment, agree, disagree, whatever you wish, but know your contributions to the ongoing discussion are always welcomed and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know who is commenting. Therefore, please use the selections below to identify yourself. Anonymous is so impersonal. If you do not have a blog or Google account, use the Name/URL selection. Thanks.